By: Rahim Dawood
More times than not, I find myself being challenged by IT departments and staff out there that see “managed technology services” as a “threat” to their department’s existence, instead of a value-added service that complements and enhances the IT organization’s efficiency, responsiveness, credibility, and effectiveness.
The reality is that multi-sourced technology managed services —primarily delivered over the cloud — is quickly becoming the norm. And organizations around the world are realizing the significant value it brings: from proven cost-savings, to measurable operational efficiencies, to extensive knowledge, resource, and technical skills depth, to increased availability, reliability, integrity, and longevity of an organization’s technology footprint and IT investment.
But you don’t have to take my word for it. A survey by CompTIA conducted in late 2011 found that organizations that have adopted cloud-based multi-sourcing technology managed services are NOT cutting jobs at all. Contrary to knee-jerk or negative perceptions, the organizations surveyed have successfully freed up their IT staff to focus on higher-value initiatives and projects — having relieved them of rote and mundane task that are extremely business critical – role of maintaining the proverbial ‘technology-steady-state’.
Here are a few highlights of what the survey discovered, including:
- Managed Technology Services allowed 46% of the companies surveyed to cut IT costs by 25% or more.
- 13% of these companies were able to cut IT expenditures by 50% or more courtesy of their managed services deal.
- Almost 50% of the companies surveyed realized savings of up to 24% after jumping on to the managed technology services bandwagon.
- 89% of the companies surveyed were “very satisfied” or “mostly satisfied” with the technology managed services they used.
- Over 50% of the companies surveyed had re-deployed their IT staff to “revenue-generating” activities.
- 62% of the companies surveyed said that they plan to increase their IT investment in technology managed services over the next two years.
The Take Away
There’s enough evidence out there to support the fact that managed technology services can yield meaningful savings and tremendous overall value to your organization — even if it’s implemented on a “small scale”.
Contact Us if you’d like to know more about our managed technology services practice or about this phenomenon in general. And remember, we’re always here to help.